For those wondering about the abbreviation, MIL-DTL stands for Military–Defence Detail Specification, which is a standardization set by the United States Military for the parts to comply with their parameters. This would ensure overall interoperability and also require meeting with the strict safety and quality standards, originally defined by the US Department of Defence. If a product is MIL-Spec (Military Specification) then mostly the US Government owns the rights to the designs, allowing other companies to compete to make and sell those products to US DoD and its contractors. This benefits the general consumers as they can gain extensively due to the pricing of these parts.
What is a MIL-DTL- 5015 connector?
MIL-DTL-5015 is a standard that labels a heavy-duty, threaded, circular electrical connector with solderable or crimped contacts, used in situations where electrical and mechanical consistency is the priority. This mainly entails civil applications like oil & gas, aerospace, petrochemical, earthmoving, mining, rail, telecommunications, generators, machine tools, and military applications. The military connector consists of a coupling pair (Plug and Receptacle) each furnished with a male pin or female socket contact which intermate to connect wires.
These rear-release connectors are generally used for electrical power, electronics, and control circuits due to their reliability, versatility, and ease of supply. These connectors used in aircraft, naval vessels, military vehicles, and mobile equipment are specifically designed for resistance against corrosion, vibration, water, and dust ingress as they need to withstand the harsh and rugged environment.
The highlight of MIL-DTL-5015 Connector:
- It is extensively used owing to the ease of its engagement and disengagement.
- The connector is available in a variety of materials and finishes (stainless steel, aluminum, zinc) for ease of use.
- It is compatible with different types and numbers of contacts, allowing simultaneous power and signal lines in one connector.
- A key feature is having a wide range of allowable contact currents (up to 225 A for Series I).
- Depending upon the class of the connector it is available in a varied temperature range of –55°C up to 200°C.
- The design element makes it highly resistant to vibration and mechanical shock (anti-decoupling springs) and has positive locking and long life which is another key performance indicator.
- The connector pricing is relatively low due to its vast prevalence.
- The working voltage range of the connector is varied at 250-4200V DC.
- It is IP67 rated, which means the product is waterproof and dustproof. IP stands for “ingress protection” which is an International Protection Marking.
- MIL-DTL-5015 connector has rugged mechanical performance under harsh environmental conditions and in critical applications.
- It is available in several shell styles (straight, wall receptacle, right angle, cable plug, box receptacle), which is an added feature.
- The shell of the connector comes in 19 different sizes ranging from size 08 through 40 with around 160 permitted insert arrangements including 1-85 contacts.
- The connectors come with a wide range of choices of wall mount, box mount, jam-nut receptacles, cable connecting, and also in standard or self–locking plugs.
- It has a captive nut and interlocking feature to prevent any kind of inadvertent disassembly.
Visit Allied Electronics Corporation for more information.