Benefits Of Medical Cost Sharing Programs For Employers

2 Mins read

Health insurance is a significant benefit that can cost corporations just as much as employees. While the Affordable Care Act (ACA) made direct-purchase health insurance accessible for those who lack employer-sponsored alternatives, for many employees, health insurance is considered a draw of regular employment. This means the insurance benefits that an employer delivers, and the way costs of that insurance are budgeted, directly impacts a company’s ability to hire the right people.

How employer-sponsored insurance costs are shared?

Medical costs sharing for employers are normally shared in two ways: out-of-pocket and premium costs. On the basis of the plans chosen by employers and their employees, these expenses can be divided across a variety of savings plans and payments, such as:

  • Deductible

The deductible is the payment paid for healthcare assistance before the insurer starts paying. Deductibles amounts are mostly yearly and a percentage of the cost shared by the employees. For instance, if an employee has a $2000 annual deductible, this means he must pay for $2000 of medical assistance before the insurer covers the rest of the expenses.

  • Copay

A copay, or copayment is the amount workers pay directly to a healthcare provider during the time of service. However, not all assistance or plans require copays.

  • Coinsurance

Coinsurance is the proportion of insurance costs that employees are still accountable for, after their deductible, and it applies only to services that are covered by insurance. For instance, if a plan upholds 20% coinsurance then the insurance company will have to pay 80% of each  medical bill that has been covered, and for the other 20%, the employee is responsible.

How does employer health insurance work?

Employers often subsidize the expense of the insurance plans they propose, making them considerably more affordable to the employees. Employees can sign-up for the insurance plan through the human resources department of the company. Generally, there is a limited range of plan options for employer health insurance.

  • Premiums

Premiums are the amounts paid to the health insurer, this allows employees to maintain their coverage. These are often  due at monthly or quarterly. Under the most cost-sharing plans, employees and employers both pay a fraction of the premium in which employers often pay the larger share. Therefore, it is always inexpensive to get health insurance through an employer.

  • Health savings accounts,

HSAs are the tax-free savings accounts that are used for future healthcare expenses. An HSA can be combined with certain high-deductible insurance plans. Employees aren’t required to spend all of the money for their HSA each year. The employer and employees may contribute to a portion of savings on HSA as well

  • Flexible spending accounts

FSAs are the pretax accounts appointed for healthcare expenses not covered by the insurance, including deductibles and copays. FSA funds are to be set aside by the employer and the employee must utilize them by year end. Unused funds are sent back to the employer.


Medical cost sharing for employers is totally legal and there is an active membership base to support this and other similar programs. Health care sharing plans can save you and your family from spending a lot of money on healthcare.