Menopause is the final phase of a woman’s menstrual period. Happening between 40-50 years old, it will be diagnosed you already had 12 months without your period. Menopause is a natural biological process that will be faced by every woman, YES WELLNESS noted the intense physical, emotional, and mental symptoms of this phase. Some of them are:
- Irregular menstruation
- Vaginal dryness
- Hot flashes
- Night sweating
- Irregular sleeping pattern
- Changes in the mood
- Weight gain
- Slow metabolism
- Hair thinning
- Dry skin
- Loss of breast fullness
These mentioned symptoms vary from woman to woman. Sometimes, irregular menstruation happens even before they end. During perimenopause, skipping menstrual cycles happens already. Periods at this time tend to be on shorter cycles, too. However, these skipped periods don’t mean you cannot be pregnant. It’s still important to have a pregnancy test especially if you aren’t sure if you are on a menopausal transition already.
Causes of Menopause
It has been mentioned that menopause happens naturally, but there are factors that cause immediate menopause or the symptoms associated with it. Some of them can be:
- Natural fluctuation of the hormones – At 30s, your ovaries will start producing less of estrogen and progesterone. At 40s, intense irregular menstruation happens. At this time, the ovaries will slowly until it stops producing eggs, and no more periods will happen.
- Hysterectomy – A surgery that involves removal of the uterus. The surgery itself can cause earlier menopausal phases.
- Chemotherapy and radiation therapies – These treatments can induce menopause and its symptoms
- Primary ovarian deficiency – Another reason why ovaries fail to produce eggs earlier is because of genetic factors and effects of autoimmune diseases
Natural Health Treatments for Menopause
While menopause is something that women should all go through in their lives, there are natural remedies that can provide relief in its symptoms. Some of them are the following:
- Ginseng – This herb has been proven itself in its medicinal benefits, and it can also help women who are experiencing sleep problems because of menopause. It can also aid them to improve their mood and sense of well-being.
- Kava – It is also proved to help women who are experiencing anxieties as another menopausal effect.
- Phytoestrogens – Cereals, soy and some vegetables are also plant-based estrogens, called phytoestrogen which can provide some amounts of estrogen for better functioning.
- Valerian – This is another plant that can help relieve insomnia
- Acupuncture – These can help menopausal women experiencing insomnia, hot flashes, and mood swings
- Paced breathing – When done for at least 20 minutes per day, it helps in improving the mood and mental state. It also relieves hot flashes
- Relaxation therapies – Activities like exercise, yoga, and meditation can also benefit menopausal women as these can relieve stress, anxiety and other emotional symptoms, and fatigue
- Aerobic exercise – Activities like walking and stretching can ease hot flashes